Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Last week my sweet Grandma Penton ("Momo") passed away. This came as a big shock to us. She was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease last summer which caused her to fall and break her hip in October. Since then she has been moved around from hospitals and physical therapy clinics to help build her strength and treat a Staph infection she got after her surgery. She was released from the hospital and was able to go home on Monday and passed away peacefully in her sleep the following Sunday. We all thought she was getting her strength back and on the mend, but she had other plans. I am comforted knowing she is now reunited with my grandpa, her parents, and twin sister whom she was been separated from for 20+ years.
I am at peace with her passing knowing that she his happy and in a better place -- although, I am still in denial that she's gone. I am glad I was able to go to Louisiana for the funeral and see her one more time. She still looked young and beautiful with no trace of gray hair. She was only 73 years old.
I am grateful for her wonderful example to me and my family. I will always remember the love she had for her family and the gospel. I am grateful she was able to live with us in Washington for several years when I was younger, and for all the special memories I have from that time. I am so glad we were able to make the trip to Louisiana this last summer to spend time with her.
All my siblings were able to be there for the funeral. It's been a long time since we were all together with no kids or spouses. We had a wonderful time spending time with family and talking about Momo. I have never cried and laughed so much in one week.
Momo made Payton a tape a few years ago with her reading stories and singing songs. I dug it out yesterday to listen to. I am so grateful for this little treasure I have and that I can hear her sweet southern voice any time I want.
While I was gone we had made arrangements for the girls to spend a few days with Devin's parents and one day with a friend. Both girls ended up getting sick, so Devin had to take a few days off work to take care of them. He was a really good sport and I am thankful he did that for me so I could be with my family. When Devin got the girls home from Grandma's house he teased Payton saying, "You girls sure are trouble," and she said, "Dad, we didn't get kicked out for being naughty, I got kicked out for being sick."

Momo and I at Women's Conference last April.

Momo and the girls during our Louisiana trip last June.

My family

Most of the Penton Crew

In other news: I made it home just in time for the great 2011 "Blizzard of Oz" that hit Kansas this week. School has been cancelled for two days and Devin has also been working from home. We won't even be able to get out of our neighborhood until the snowplows come through. We have snow drifts so big we could throw Piper in one and lose her.
Before the storm got too bad I was able to make it to the doctor for my monthly checkup. Baby is doing well. She has lots of energy and is moving around and kicking like a wild animal. I gained a whopping 7 pounds this last month -- I guess I better lay off the chocolate and pancakes.
Piper is finally talking up a storm. She has turned into a little parrot and copies everything we say. She was being goofy the other day and Payton was calling her wild and crazy and Piper kept saying, "No, I happy." She is also into everything. The other day I ran up to take a quick shower, when I went down to check on her she had pushed a stool up to the counter and gotten down her binky, a bag of Raisinets, and Payton's Leapster. She tried to push the stool back so I wouldn't notice but who could miss the guilty look on her face and cheeks full of raisins.
Payton is still loving school -- although she hasn't been to a full week of school since before Christmas break due to snow days, sick days, and holidays. We just signed her up for Spring soccer so she is excited for that.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Sniff sniff...I know your sweet Momo will be missed. Loved your post.

jeannie said...

Loved your tribute to your Grandma. I loved being to know her. She had such a fun and sweet personality. It came to a shock to me that she had passed. I'm so glad I got to see her at that conference last year. Take care and congrats on your baby girl #3!