Sunday, August 28, 2011

Washington 2o11

Our trip to Washington started off a little rough.  What was supposed to be a one day trip with two flights turned into a two day trip with four flights.  Our flight leaving Kansas was delayed because of a thunder storm in Denver.  By the time we finally made it to Denver we had missed our connecting flight to Washington. Because it was a weather issue the airline would not put anyone up in a hotel, luckily my Mom's sisters live in Denver not too far from the airport.  They were nice enough to pick us up, give us a place to stay, drive me around town at 11:30pm looking for an open store so I could buy diapers and formula, and get us back to the airport the next day.  The girls did pretty good considering all that was going on. All I can say is thank goodness for Ipads, candy, and grandmas.  I am so grateful my mom was with us, or I would have been a hot mess.
Once we finally made it to Washington and had a good nights sleep, the rest of the trip was great.  Grandpa build a swing set, sand box, fire pit and playhouse.  The girls spent the majority of time outside playing.  They have never been so dirty in their lives -- and they loved every minute of it.  They also had a great time playing with cousins.  Payton and Grady spent every moment possible together, and Piper enjoyed  playing with Reese and bossing around poor little Reggie.
Here are some of the highlights:
  • swimming with Matt and Tanner at the pond
  • tractor rides around the yard with grandpa
  • BBQs
  • sliding down the monster slip and slid at the ward party
  • roasting marshmallows around the bonfire
  • swinging with grandma
  • swimming
  • lots and lots of fishing
  • Payton lost her first tooth
  • Piper finally decided to be potty trained
  • Easter egg hunts, yes I said Easter egg hunts.  My crazy mom thought it would be fun to hide eggs around the yard and leave a note from the Easter Bunny saying he was friends with the Tooth Fairy and she told him we were in town so he left them some eggs and toys to find.  My kids believe everything you tell them.
  • Visiting the Tri-Cities Temple
  • Having treats and watching cartoons in the playhouse. My dad wired the playhouse with electricity and moved his tv in it for them for a few days.  Playhouses don't get much cooler then that.
  • Paisley's blessing
  • Movies -- We took the girls to "Smurfs."  The girls liked it, I hope I never have to sit through that again.  My mom and I also went to see "17 miracles," the story about the Willie Handcart Company.  It was a good movie but be prepared to cry.
  • playing ball with daddy
  • bunny hunts
  • finished up Payton's school shopping
  • a date to PF Changs
  • beautiful weather
The girls and I were there for almost three weeks.  Devin came out to join us for the last week and help with the trip home.  We all had a great trip.  It was nice to be home and spend time with family.


















3 comments:

Kelley & Manny said...

Sounds like lots of fun!!! We didn't get to make it up to Washington this summer so I am jealous right now!!! Miss ya!

Amber said...

WOW! What a start to a "vacation" I would have died. So nice to see your family growing. Time is flying.

Anonymous said...

love to get those little girls alone in that out building I love secs with kids